In case the written journals containing copious notes documenting our lives are never found, family will have an online archive to remember us by.
Monday, June 17, 2013
Banged up and still smiling!
Our Koen is two!! We had a wonderful Thomas the Train themed birthday party for our little man on Sunday, June 2nd. He ate delectable chocolate cupcakes, burgers, brats and even sauerkraut like a champ. We invited a few toddler friends and they all did their best to enjoy each other's company. It was a success and Koen was showered with love, adoration and fun new toys from friends and family in celebration of his big day.
The very minute Koen turned two we noticed an edge to his personality, you might say a bipolar disposition, laced with super-charged sensitivity. This is all so new to me and I'm torn on whether to ignore it or console it. Part of this could be that he's missing his dad who is gone for three weeks at AT training in Idaho, part of it could be overstimulation from traveling and exposure to a lot of people in the last two weeks, and part of it could simply be growing pains.
Koen is proudly reciting the alphabet with very little help and recognizes many of the letters in every day words. Lately I find him counting on his fingers and counting objects around the house. I've discovered that he easily counts to 14 on his own and I must admit that most, if not all of the credit goes to Elmo DVDs rented from our local library. Shapes and colors have been mastered for quite some time, while language development is more slow paced and entertaining to boot. I'm picking up on a more developed sense of danger; he's more cautious when it comes to certain activities that were easy going for him in the past and loud noises and fast motions make him go into panic mode. His two major obsessions still include things that spin and pushing anything and everything that has wheels, even if it comes with a kid riding on top. All in all, it's an amazing journey to watch his individual development and I just don't want to forget any of it.
I finally decided to attempt another hair cut after catching him squinting as a result of his bangs scratching his eyes out, and it turned out way better than expected. Elmo kept him occupied and I was able to cut two inches. Now he looks even older than before.
As for the picture, we took a walk to the playground today and he was happily pushing a cheap plastic loader truck along the sidewalk when the edge of the bucket caught on a crack and his momentum threw him face first into the cement. He handled it quite well only crying for a minute; now he proudly wears an "Adolf" blood-stache, cut lip and purple goose egg on his forehead. It's tough being a boy.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment