Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Ari ZONE a

While Justin was on training detail in San Francisco, Koen and I decided to take a trip down to Arizona for 10 days and soak in some sunshine. Yes, this dry desert zone puts a smile on my face when Hood River has nothing to offer but gray, drizzle and dreary. Last time I was here I was 6 months pregnant and looked about 8 months pregnant by the time I came back home. Sunshine, heat and palm trees are surely what I signed up for on this trip. That's why when it snowed on day two of my vacation I was imagining myself and a battered cartoon version of the storm cloud in a dark, urban underground venue laying it out full-on Fight Club style. The storm was brief though and I was back in tee shirt and shorts for the remainder of the trip. Koen thrived taking in all the new sights, textures and sounds. He thoroughly enjoyed the pool at the RV Park where my parents are staying, otherwise known as Grand-Coco-pah, where in order to obtain membership you must be 80, or wear Depends, or look as if you had a day tour on the sun itself (sans sunscreen), or own a dog the size of a cat or smaller in which you cart around in a baby stroller or bejeweled mobi wrap, or have invested in a set of veneers, or own a set of golf clubs particularly if you don't own a cat-sized dog, or have at least 9 great grand children, or can't figure out why the corrupt state government took away your drivers license but you still drive anyway, or you are retired. My parents fall under the retired category. Ko and I stayed on the Marine Corp Air Station base in Yuma, which was a great experience. I took him on daily walks to the park where he enjoyed the bucket swing and slide for the first time and he love, love, loved it. I have awesome video of him laughing hysterically. We ate well, slept well, enjoyed long walks and hikes, and my little guy was an absolute champ. He owed me. The plane ride from Eugene to Phoenix was a bit like labor; horribly painful for Mom until baby landed, only during labor I didn't have 20 onlookers, so I think the plane ride was worse. I was considering making it a one way ticket, but alas a taxi ride back to Oregon would have been a budget buster. I think he sensed my dread because he was an angel on the way back and I am no longer afraid to fly with a baby.

2 comments:

  1. Your little guy is so cute! And I love your description of the retirement community. If you could get a picture of a dog in a bejeweled moby wrap I would be forever grateful.
    And in response to the comment you left on my blog. One kid was a life changing adventure, the second was a lot easier, so easy that number three came thirteen months later. And having three is exhausting, but very rewarding too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 13 months wow!! I'm worried that our second will be a nightmare because Koen is so, so easy 99% of the time, but you're right, children are so rewarding and I will cheerfully embrace one or two more down the road no matter how exhausting.

    ReplyDelete