In case the written journals containing copious notes documenting our lives are never found, family will have an online archive to remember us by.
Sunday, September 20, 2009
Enduring the wait
Currently Justin is serving 12 excruciatingly long months in Iraq with the Army National Guard. Fortunately he has served almost 5 months, so it's dwindling down one long day after another. For the soldiers' families at home, life has been rudely interrupted, and we have been forced to stay positive while we wait for our other half to join us again. We wait and we wait. Nothing is the same when your companion is missing at family or social functions, meals are less than exciting when you're unable to share them with each other, and you miss being able to talk about anything and everything on a daily basis. Although Internet enables us to communicate more regularly than ever before, I find the quality is compromised in more ways than one. This is the sacrifice you make when signing up for this - sure there are perks - great benefits, increased pay, a soldier's sense of pride and contribution to his country, but does it all balance out? Is it worth it? I don't have the answer to that question. We'll try to remember this when 'they' ask him to re-enlist. Next post will be more positive.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
all this is to true. five long months and seven longer ones to go. it is nice though that i will be having leave here in the next few months. a break that is much needed and time that is all too precious that is needed to be spent with erika. she asks, is it all worth it, that is a question that will never be black or white. i do miss the hell out of her and pray every day goes by faster than the last so i can spend the rest of my days with the one i love
ReplyDeleteI'm so proud of the two of you and the way you are handling this separation. No one can fully understand what it is like but I know it must be very lonely to be away from the one you love so much. I know how it is for me being the Mom, but I have Bruce to go home to at night not a empty house. GOD has a plan for the two of you and we will not fully understand it at this place and time. But I know he has blessed the two of you and if you can just rest in his presence it will make it a little easier. I know thats the only way I'm making it.
ReplyDeleteAnd Erika I love that you are starting up your own blog, because this is just as hard for you. Your in a safer place but missing the one you love. Love you both so much!!! Mom
Your very own blog. Aw, Erika, you are growing up so quickly. :)
ReplyDeleteCongratulations EK! We just can't keep up with all of this technostuff. I barely know how to type....thank God for kids.
ReplyDeleteThe blog looks great and hang in there...like Lynn said and Justin confirmed, there is a reason for all of this. What, we can't guess but it will make sense some day in the future.
Dad
I expect the next post to be butterflies and roses... :)
ReplyDeleteI'm glad to have another blog that I can ignore for a year and then post a flurry of comments to.
Miss you! Hope to see you soon. How's your training for the Epic Ride of Our Lives coming along? I haven't started, surprise.
Love you,
Sara